18 November 2011

miss autumn's stocking...the beginning

today I will start knitting miss autumn's stocking...


It will be long and skinny--about 4.5" wide (9" diameter) and 28-30" long--and will have a simple rolled edge at the top...

I will knit it in Berroco's Ultra Alpaca, a 50/50 blend of wool and alpaca that is well-priced and lovely to work with...two skeins--one in winter white, one in red--will be more than enough...

I know from experience that this yarn, knit on US size 6 circulars, will yield a gauge of five stitches and seven rows per inch.  I've decided, therefore, to cast on 48 (5 x 9"= 45, plus 3 to bring my total stitches to a number that is easily divisible by 2 and 4, which will come in handy when doing the heel). 


So...beginning with red, I will cast 48 stitches on to my 16", 4mm (US6) Addi turbo circular and knit...

next:  stripes
 

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to do the math, but I need help! I'd like to make my stocking more short & stout :) What would you suggest for a cast on? Once I have that, I should be able to modify the pattern on my own! But I've never made a stocking & you seem to have it down when it comes to a good number of stitches for doing the heel!

    Thank you again! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete

comments are welcome!

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...