18 November 2011

miss autumn's stocking...the beginning

today I will start knitting miss autumn's stocking...


It will be long and skinny--about 4.5" wide (9" diameter) and 28-30" long--and will have a simple rolled edge at the top...

I will knit it in Berroco's Ultra Alpaca, a 50/50 blend of wool and alpaca that is well-priced and lovely to work with...two skeins--one in winter white, one in red--will be more than enough...

I know from experience that this yarn, knit on US size 6 circulars, will yield a gauge of five stitches and seven rows per inch.  I've decided, therefore, to cast on 48 (5 x 9"= 45, plus 3 to bring my total stitches to a number that is easily divisible by 2 and 4, which will come in handy when doing the heel). 


So...beginning with red, I will cast 48 stitches on to my 16", 4mm (US6) Addi turbo circular and knit...

next:  stripes
 

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to do the math, but I need help! I'd like to make my stocking more short & stout :) What would you suggest for a cast on? Once I have that, I should be able to modify the pattern on my own! But I've never made a stocking & you seem to have it down when it comes to a good number of stitches for doing the heel!

    Thank you again! Can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete

comments are welcome!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...